Education & Certifications:
- DACM, doctorate in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine from Pacific College of Health and Human Services
- M.S.O.M, graduated summa cum laude with a Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine from Five Branches University
- FABORM, the first fellow of the American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine in Utah
- Dipl. OM., NCCAOM Nationally Board Certified in Oriental Medicine
- L.Ac., Utah state licensed acupuncturist
- LMT, Utah state licensed massage therapist
- Microneedling certified, 2020
- Clean needle technique certified, 2008
- PRP certification, 2019
- Phelbotomy training, 2018
- Regenerative injection training, 2017-2019
- Mei Zen cosmetic acupuncture training, 2009
- Advanced Acupuncture Pediatrics certification, 2016
I have been passionate about holistic and natural living since 1998 after holistic therapies helped me heal a chronic digestive system problem, get my anxiety under control, and rid myself of painful periods. I feel so grateful to have found holistic medicine and enjoy passing on the knowledge I have gained. My other interests include dance, cooking, traveling, and raising three smart, confident, beautiful, resilient daughters.
Heather specializes in:
Awards & Memberships:
- Utah Medical Reserve Corp member
- Co-chair for Acupuncture Regenerative Medicine Society (ARMS)
- Fellow of the American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (ABORM)
Podcasts, Interviews, & Speaking:
- PCOS Diva: Dr. Heather on Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine for Fertility
- Circle & Bloom: Dr. Heather on Beyond IVF: Restoring Fertility Naturally
- Treating Infertility with Jane Lyttleton
- Integrative Fertility Symposium: 2021
- Integrative Fertility Coaching Certification: Current
- Mei Zen Cosmetic Acupuncture training
- Microneedling training
- PRP training with Dr. PRP
- Phlebotomy certification
- Advanced Acupuncture Pediatrics with the Center for Acupuncture Pediatrics
- Regenerative injection therapy with Andrew Taylor
- Utah Medical Reserve Corp training
As your Salt Lake acupuncturist,
I am about honesty, integrity, and partnership.
I support you by educating you on all your options so you can heal and feel empowered to create a life that you love inside of which you can stay well.
Wellness is not simply the absence of disease- wellness is being free from chronic symptoms and its a way of living that brings us closer to the deep-down, authentic people we were meant to be. You feel energized, resilient, peaceful and content. You can move through the ups and downs of life with grace and soul and embrace the joys and sorrows and everything in between.
My Healthcare Philosophy:
- I believe fertility isn’t just about about a baby- its about learning to nourish your body, mind and spirit, embracing the challenges, and learning to trust your body again.
- I believe you know your body better than anyone. I want you to feel empowered to take care of your own health, understand the process of healing, and all the available paths to healing and wellness.
- I believe you should leave my office feeling better than when you came in.
- I believe in medicine that looks at the whole person, and not just a set of symptoms because Everything is connected.
- I believe in medicine that addresses root causes and not just symptoms. By treating the root cause you will get lasting results and you won’t need to be dependent on someone else for your health.
- I believe treating infertility requires uncovering the root cause and discovering what emotional and physical imbalances exist within us.
- I believe that mental and emotional health are intricately connected to physical symptoms.
- I believe the patient/practitioner relationship is a partnership. My role is to empower you to take your health in hand, provide my skills and knowledge so you know all your options, and to focus on your healing. Your role is to ask questions, be an active participant in your health, and arrive on time and prepared.
- I believe in pharmaceutical-free health. While some pharmaceuticals are necessary and life-saving, many only treat symptoms and come with risks and side effects. Most can be avoided using a holistic, functional approach.
- I believe in evidence-based medicine. As your Salt Lake acupuncturist, I want to offer solutions that are safe, free of side effects, and effective.
- I believe in our ability to self-heal. The current healthcare system often doesn’t encourage or support us taking an active role in our health. I encourage questions and critical thinking.
My first introduction to Chinese medicine was by way of an information session at Utah College of Massage Therapy. I was a student there at the time after spending two years at the University utterly lost as to what I wanted to be when I grew up. I had spent a year as a dance major and as much as I loved dancing all day every day I realized I didn’t want to make a career of it. I then looked into becoming a physical therapist. I liked the idea of helping people get healthier. I got my feet wet in that field by working as a PT- aide in two local hospitals- one out-patient and one in-patient. It felt good knowing that I was helping people feel better but it also drove me crazy that people weren’t experiencing deep healing. We would just get them to the point where they could be discharged or released from care but it occurred to me that they would probably just fall right back into their old habits that had gotten them there in the first place.
I remember thinking: Is this how healthcare is and are there any other options?
After I graduated from massage school, my boyfriend at the time, who is now my husband, and I moved out to California to help open Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. We were riding the wave of massage therapy being a viable career. I was having the time of my life meeting and massaging celebrities, practicing yoga and meditation and discovering new aspects of myself I had never known were there. This is also when I started seeing an acupuncturist. I was in my first trimester with my oldest daughter and my body was changing on a daily basis. I was experiencing morning sickness, aches and pains and fatigue. Lisa, my acupuncturist, helped me with all these things and more. I was fascinated by how much Chinese medicine could help many different health issues. This was also my first introduction into all the modalities within Chinese medicine. I didn’t realize that Chinese medicine included more than acupuncture. Lisa did it all- acupuncture, eastern nutrition, herbology, tui na, and bone setting (an ancient art similar to modern chiropractic). I always left my treatments with Lisa feeling better than when I came in. And I know that acupuncture and Chinese medicine helped me have a healthy pregnancy and a safe and efficient home birth. The experience with Lisa piqued my interest in studying Chinese medicine even more and I knew that I wanted to incorporate all the aspects of Chinese medicine, although bone setting is no longer included in the curriculum.
Fast forward 4 years later, I had two children under age 6, started my four year Masters degree in traditional Chinese medicine at Five Branches University and helped open Pebble Beach spa. All the while still continuing to receive acupuncture and take Chinese herbs to help balance my hormones after pregnancy, deal with seasonal allergies and generally keep myself feeling well, energized and happy. It was also during this time that I began to study other methods of healing. Up to this point I had tried colon hydrotherapy, followed the body ecology diet, spent some time as a vegetarian, practiced yoga, got attuned to the second level in Reiki, took level one of the Hugh Milne school of Cranial Sacral therapy along with all the classes I took at UCMT. I then started seeing a naturopath, received traditional and network chiropractic care, and saw an ayurvedic practitioner. I was like a sponge absorbing all I could from the vast field of holistic medicine.
I realized that there was not one method or technique that could take care of everything and that wellness required a team approach. This is where the idea of a collaborative wellness center was born- from all the different experiences James and I have had over the last twenty plus years.
Why Specialize in Fertility and Women’s Health?
I chose to specialize in fertility and women’s health because I believe that many of the issues causing infertility are a result of living out of right relationship with nature and how our bodies are meant to work. I also don’t believe that IVF and other ART procedures should be firstline therapies. I am grateful these advances exist for those who truly need them but I don’t believe that is a majority.
Women’s health holds a special place in my heart because I have three daughters. I want them to feel heard and seen. To not feel anxious or overwhelmed searching for answers when it comes to their health. And I definitely don’t want them to feel like their concerns are being dismissed by their healthcare providers. This happens all too often and I would like to see this change in my lifetime. I follow the principle of Be the change you want to see happen in the world.
So if you are ready to:
- Reclaim your body and your life.
- Feel empowered to dig deep and ask the hard questions.
- Do the challenging work of exploring your inner depths.
- And live the wholehearted, vibrant life you were meant to
Let’s Do This Together
Click the button below to get started
Your Wellness is One Consultation Away.
Whether it's your first step to a healthier, more vital life or your last resort, holistic medicine gives you the power to make positive change.
By appointment only
Inside the Heritage Square building
1345 E 3900 S, Suite 102
Salt Lake City, UT 84124
Disclaimer: Individual results vary. No guarantee of specific results is warranted or implied and your results will depend on many factors. The information contained in this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, or otherwise intervene in any medical condition. Always seek help from a licensed medical professional for any health condition.